Do You Qualify?
Applicants must meet certain criteria to be considered for the Habitat home ownership program. Income guidelines for the program are based on household size and HUD Guidelines. Check our quick list of qualification criteria below.
Income cannot exceed the following limits:
1 person $19,800
2 persons $22,605
3 persons $25,410
4 persons $28,215
5 persons $30,525
6 persons $32,780
7 persons $35,035
8 persons $37,290
HOMEOWNERSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
*There are additional documents that will be needed during the full application process.
- One year stable employment history.
- Must have lived in Bradley County for at least one year.
- One year stable rent history with good references.
- Reasonable credit with good references.
- Must be out of bankruptcy with successful discharge for at least one year.
- Willing to work 300 – 400 hours of sweat equity to help with the construction of homes.
- Ability to pay an $2,500 down payment within one year.
- U.S. citizen or legal resident.
TIMELINE OF APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Homeownership Program Questionnaire: Applicant must complete a Homeownership Program Questionnaire, which will be evaluated within 48 hours of submission. The applicant will then be notified if he or she is eligible to complete the Homeownership Application.
2. Homeownership Application: If an applicant is eligible for the long-form application, they will be contacted to complete the long-form application at the Habitat for Humanity of Cleveland office. The Homeownership Application will be evaluated, verifications will be completed, and background and credit check will be run within 30 days of submission. This process could take longer, but you will be notified throughout the process.
3. Family Selection Committee: The Homeownership Application will be reviewed by the Family Selection Chairperson. If the chairpersons believes the application criteria shows that the family has a need for housing, is willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity of Cleveland, and has the ability to pay a mortgage, the family will be brought in for an interview or a home visit will be scheduled. The Family Selection committee will then make a recommendation to the Habitat Board of Directors for final approval.
4. Final Recommendation: The family is notified within one week following Board review if they have been approved or deselected.
Do you have questions about this process? We are here to help!
Staff are available to help you through the application process and to answer any questions you may have.
For more information, please contact:
Family Services Manager
423-476-6947 Ext. 302